In 1988, the J&K State Government established J&K State Cable Car Corporation under the Companies Act, 1956 with the following mandate:
1. To establish run, manage and administer Ropeways and Cable Car Project at Gulmarg;
2. To establish and carry on the business of Cable Car at other Tourist resorts of the State of Jammu & Kashmir;
3. To develop necessary infrastructure and common facilities at different places in order to promote tourism in the State;
4. To establish, construct, lease out or acquire on its own Ropeways and Cable Cars at other tourist places;
5. To take over the running business of Gulmarg Cable Car Project at Gulmarg.
When Section-I of Gulmarg Gondola Project became operational, it became a tourist hot-spot in Gulmarg which was apparent in the escalating revenue earnings year after year.
The ski patrol team in Gulmarg comprises both Kashmiri and foreign snow safety experts. The team is sent regularly overseas for training and skill up gradation.
Avalanche awareness sessions are held in Gulmarg which is required for those embarking upon ‘backcountry-skiing’. The avalanche transceiver or beacon search facility has also been set up.